- Generic Finpecia (Finasteride) is a substance which selectively prevents effects of 5 alpha-reductase, the enzyme responsible for activity of certain androgens (male hormones). Hair follicles and sebaceous glands are especially sensitive to androgens: their growth is stimulated at the cellular level and sebaceous glands produce fat. Hair growth in great measure depends on androgens. The strongest of the androgens is testosterone, it should be converted in dihydrotestosterone by 5 a-reductase in cells to be able to influence hair growth. Men with low levels of T 5 a-reductase and consequently dihydrotestosterone are not liable to enlargement of prostate and male hair loss. Finpecia is used in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (male-pattern baldness), prostate cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- This medication should be used only by recommendations of hair loss specialists or urologist. Take 1 tablet a day before or after a meal to treat male-pattern baldness. Regular intake at the same time each day is preferable.
- This medication cannot be used to treat other forms of hair loss such as focal hair loss (alopecia), stress hair loss, hair loss caused by lack of vitamins and nutrients, etc. Finpecia should be taken daily for 3 and months and longer to produce any noticeable effect like slowing and stoppage of hair loss. After 6 months of treatment newly grown hair can be seen which replace lost hair. If Finpecia shows no effect during twelve months its further use is unreasonable. Do not stop taking this medication without approval of your doctor as you may lose all newly grown hair during 12 months. Pregnant women or women who are going to become a mother, should not touch broken or pounded Finpecia pills as this substance is able to penetrate through skin and lead to abnormal changes in the reproductive system of the child (feminization of the fetus). Finpecia tablets are covered with a special layer to prevent a contact with its active ingredient.
- This medication is contraindicated in women and especially in pregnant women due to potential hazard to the male fetus, males younger than 18 y.o., in patients who are hypersensitive to any component of this medication.
- Some men experience impotence, abnormal ejaculation, decreased ejaculatory volume, abnormal sexual function, gynecomastia, erectile dysfunction, ejaculation disorder and testicular pain.
- No drug interactions of clinical importance have been reported about.
- If you forgot to take a dose take it as soon as you remember unless it is almost time of your next dose. If so do not take the missed dose and return to your regular schedule. Do not try to make up the missed dose by taking an additional dose as it may worsen your side effects.
- We provide only general information about medications which does not cover all directions, possible drug integrations, or precautions. Information at the site cannot be used for self-treatment and self-diagnosis. Any specific instructions for a particular patient should be agreed with your health care adviser or doctor in charge of the case. We disclaim reliability of this information and mistakes it could contain. We are not responsible for any direct, indirect, special or other indirect damage as a result of any use of the information on this site and also for consequences of self-treatment.