About the drug:
The active ingredient of the drug is Minoxidil. It is used to stimulate hair growth in case of those who are suffering from male pattern baldness. Male pattern baldness is the result of androgen imbalance in the body.
Uses of the drug:
The medicine is mainly used in the treatment of male pattern baldness. It is also used in women with thinning of hair. The drug is mostly used in case of people below the age of 40.
Working of the drug:
The medicine when applied on the scalp works by shortening the telogen phase, prolonging the anagen phase and improving the viability of hair follicles.
The manufacturer of Coverit-2% – 60 ml is Cipla, India. You can purchase Coverit-2% – 60 ml online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the lotion form in the following strength
- Coverit-2% – 60 ml
- Lonitab – 5mg
- Lonitab – 10mg
- Mintop Solution – 2% (60 ml)
- Tugain 5% – 60ml
- Shaltop-A Solution – 50 ml
Before you use this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient of the drug or to any other ingredients.
- Are 18 years or below this age.
Tell your doctor if you:
- Are breast feeding your baby
- Are pregnant, planning to be pregnant.
- Have asthma or any other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Have irritated, damaged or sunburned scalp skin
- Have heart problems
- Have any kind of allergies
- Have scalp diseases such as wounds/cuts or eczema on scalp
- Are suffering from any other ailments
- Are taking any other medicine
- Are allergic to any other medicine
How much to use the drug?
The recommended dose will be decided by your doctor after examining you thoroughly. The dose that is usually prescribed is 1 ml or 20 drops of the lotion on the affected scalp area. The maximum dose that can be applied is 2 ml of the lotion in one day.
How to use the drug?
The hair needs to be parted into two parts and then the solution needs to be applied evenly on the scalp. Always wash your hand properly before and after use. Apply the lotion carefully and avoid getting the lotion in eyes, mouth a nose.
For how long to use it?
The medicine is to be taken for the entire prescribed period of time and should not be stopped in between as it may lead to adverse effect in the body. Usually the medicine is prescribed for a minimum period of 4 months and possibly for 1 year. In order to get the complete benefit the medicine must be applied for the entire prescribed period of time.
Overdose of the medicine can lead to several side effects and must be avoided. Some of the common side effects include warmth of the affected area, redness, itching, rash, headache, allergy and so on. In case of overdose of the medicine you must get in touch with your doctor as soon as possible.
In case of missed dose you must take the medicine as soon as you remember provided there is sufficient gap between two doses. Never double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the common side effects of the medicines include:
- Redness and flaking of the skin
- Allergic reactions like breathing problems
- Headache and irritation
- Irregular heartbeat
- Dizziness and light-headedness
- Swollen lips face and tongue
This is not a complete list of side effects that may happen. There are other side effects as well. In case the side effects persist or worsens then you must get in touch with your doctor as soon as possible.
Common drug interactions:
There are some medicines that may interact with Minoxidil and affects it working. Hence it is essential that you disclose any prescription, non prescription, herbal medicines or any supplements that you are currently taking to your doctor so that he can check for any possible drug interaction and thereby reduce chances of drug interaction if any.
Things to remember:
- Do not share the medicine with anyone even if the person is suffering from the same symptoms.
- Use the medicine only for the purpose specified and not for any other purpose.
- Store the medicine in a cool and dry pace away from heat, light and moisture.
- Always apply the lotion in the quantity mentioned by your doctor.
- Never use the expired lotion.
- The lotion should be kept away from fire as it is highly inflammable.
- Take medical help in case of any unusual conditions.
- The drug needs to be applied regularly to get the desired effect.
- Even after taking the medicine for the prescribed period of time if the situation does not improve then you must get in touch with your doctor.